Glorious Game Genres
Games are more popular than ever, flooding our newsfeeds, fueling social interactions, popping up at online casinos and providing us with hours of entertainment. Not only are they reasonably ubiquitous these days, but there are a plethora of game genres to pick from.
Moreover, there are so many game genres, many of which mix and combine different features of other genres. This means that you can genuinely hone in on what you’re looking for in a game, whether it’s a role-playing game or a point-and-click adventure.
The video game industry is as broad as it is popular, with many genres sprouting and establishing themselves over the years. These genres help to organise the vast number of video games available today into manageable and understandable groups.
Knowing a game’s genre gives you an idea of what it’s supposed to be like, and as a result, you’ll have high expectations for it to live up to the genre’s standards. A few video game genres stand out among the many that are available today. Here are the top five that are constantly expanding and evolving.
- First Person Shooter – FPS games have a long and illustrious history in gaming, dating back to the 1970s. However, it wasn’t until the iconic release of Wolfenstein 3D in 1992 that it indeed became a global phenomenon. By the end of 1993, it had sold over 200,000 copies. Its nonstop action, gore, and gunplay had fans captivated. Throughout the rest of the 1990s, Wolfenstein 3D ushered in a flood of first-person shooter games, culminating in an FPS ‘boom’ in the 2000s.
FPS is the genre to play if you’re looking for a surge of adrenaline. FPS games have always been fast-paced, action-packed, and just plain entertaining. FPS games can also have a rich storyline.
FPS games are highly recommended if you enjoy action-packed games with run-and-gun adrenaline rushes and talking trash to your pals online.
- RPG – RPGs are among the most popular video games today. The RPG genre is home to some truly iconic titles, from the sprawling majesty of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to the incredible multiplayer servers of World of Warcraft. However, it is most recognisably categorised by main characters destined to save the world and wide-open worlds for the player to explore. These are not genre requirements, but they are highly prevalent elements.
- Action – One of the most popular game genres has long been action games. Action games place a premium on testing the player’s reflexes, response time, and hand-eye coordination. The best action games are a perfect blend of all this genre has to offer, channelling it into a one-of-a-kind experience that only an action game can provide. Because of the genre’s durability and appeal, game designers have experimented with the method quite a bit. As a result, action games have split into several sub-genres.
- MMORPG – MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games), like RPGs, will pique the player’s interest and immerse them in a rich environment. This time, however, it’s done via the internet. The realm is now occupied not only by some possibly detailed NPCs but also by other human gamers. Collaboration with other players gives a new dimension to the game. MMORPGs will be your bread and butter if you enjoy RPGs but want to take your skills online to either aid or harm other players in a rich, intricate universe.
- Horror – Horror games, like RPGs, have produced some of the most well-known titles of all time, including Resident Evil and Outlast. The Horror genre is recognised for using dark iconography and haunting music to scare and disturb the player, creating a feeling of apprehensive suspense that creates a genuine thrill when playing the game.
According to a new report on the gaming business, the worldwide gaming market will rise dramatically by 2022, reaching up to $150 billion.
With the video game industry showing no signs of slowing down, there are endless possibilities for merging or creating new genres each year. Among the many gaming genres available, some maintain their popularity, while others fade away.